CMSGPS is a simple to use, low cost GPS tracking software that
can be used with ArcView 3.X or ArcMap. The extension
primarily tracks the current GPS position and shows this position graphically
on the GIS. As your position moves, the screen will pan to
keep your position visible. Users are able to record and
log GPS positions to a shapefile. Raw NMEA output can be
logged to a file and can even be played back by using
the "Read From File" feature. The software provides
a sophisticated display panel that can be used to: Display Speed,
Number of Satellites, PDOP, GPS Time, and complete satellite
position and strength information.
Light weight (under 1 MB memory, 5 Mb disk),
easy to use, and flexible best describe CMS's new GPS tracking and
logging software. CMSGPS works with any NMEA streaming GPS device
from low cost $100 dollar USB units to high end survey grade
units. CMSGPS can be installed and running in a matter of
minutes. Users can download a FREE
30 Day Evaluation Copy of CMSGPS. Users do NOT need a GPS unit
to use the 30 day trial version as it can read NMEA data from a
CMSGPS was developed as a low cost solution for utility companies to
provide truck maps in the field. Using a low cost GPS units,
field crews can easily see the maps for the areas they are working
on and can even record locations from repairs made.
Here is a sampling
of tasks that CMSGPS can be used for:
- Keeping track of your position while staking long runs of new construction.
- Digitizing street center line of new roads or rural secondary roads not maintained in a GIS.
- Keeping track of your position while conducting repairs during an outage situation.
- Keeping track of your position while assisting other utility companies with repairs during times of natural disasters.
- Marking locations of landmarks to aid in the location of hidden or inaccessible assets.
*(accuracy is determined by the GPS unit and quality of satellite reception)
Users can easily view their relative position and the
satellites in view with their signal strength.